Friday, December 5, 2008

Amazing Experience

Alright. I am currently sitting at a table on the front face of the library at Georgia Tech on the 4th floor (I thought I was on the 6th but apparently that was fallacious). I've been teaching myself differential equations for a good majority of this week in the library. I was sitting here working on a problem, when I "met" a rather unique individual. I believe (we never were formally introduced) his name was Noble Shepherd-Albay. It sounded weird to me at first but after this entire encounter it made a bit more sense (at least to me) - the following may make you believe I'm crazy but I enjoyed the experience.

This man was dressed in baggy jeans, and an enormous camouflage jacket with a turban-style hat. He wore huge sun glasses and seemed so humble. There was just an aura about him. Eventually, we caught each others' stare and he began to talk to me for a bit. I believe he said he was a professor (maybe a TA) for a Quantum Mechanics class (not sure if it was here or not - he had a very soft voice). I knew that I had been quick to judge him at first and felt bad about this very quickly because soon after, he came up to me and asked if I went to Waffle House. I, of course, said yes and he handed me a bracelet that gives you 10% off any meal you have their when you wear it in the establishment. So feeling bad, he asked if he could borrow my phone... I decided to indulge him.

I began to listen to this man (unintentionally at first as I had taken my headphones off so that I could be more attentive for when he returned my phone). As I was listening - it was first about charity work - which he then extended me an offer for but I had to decline as I have to still learn the rest of Differential Equations and 3 other classes - and, honestly I felt a tad uncomfortable still). So he continued on his calls and then began a new conversation with some motel's he had stayed with in the past. He was apparently fighting against charges that were incurred against him, when he was due 3 days and 2 nights free. As I listened - I was amazed at how calm this man was. He was very articulate - spoke very softly and had no rise in tone during the 40 minutes or so of conversation. I won't get into the details of all of the dispute but I knew that this man had also been in law as he spoke with these people with the ease of the greatest lawyers. I'm assuming at the end he had been successful or at least made a little head-way.

At the end he asked to borrow a dollar so he could get on MARTA to deliver the food to the charity today. I obliged again and he then said:
"Next time we meet, ask me for $20 on that $1".
I laughed at what I thought was a joke, which was followed by:
"I'm serious. You don't know who you are talking to do you?" (or something along those lines).

At this point I thought he was a huge musician or actor that I had not recognized and he grabbed his bag and brought it over to my table. He began to pull pictures out of bag that showed 'Noble' with Flava Flav, Janet Jackson, and he went on to say that earlier in his career he had helped bands (such as Ozzy Osbourne and some other Rock and Country bands) get their start. I just looked and smiled and he smiled back. After another small exchange of words and his advice (saying I should take me Chemistry major, go Pre-Law and do what his friend does: sues pharmaceutical companies for ill practice [wasn't sure again due to the soft voice but obviously some kind of injustice] for about 7 figures a year), he asked my name, shook my hand, and left down one of the stacks.

I stared at where he had walked away and just smiled at myself. It all made sense to me anyway. His name: "Noble Shepherd". He had religion in his life (albeit Muslim, but still a faith nonetheless). He made mention that he was fighting the motel chains so that they would not step on others as they were trying to do him (and in his own words, he was not one to be silenced) - he was a voice for others). He was soft spoken, continually happy, and very simple but very brilliant.

I was really surprised the way this whole experience had contracted itself and wondered why it was me that had the honor of this man's company. Now some people may think I am naive at this point or that I'm just easily impressed... All I have to say to those people is that you can think what you like but I extend this - what if that man was a "Noble Shepherd". My mind started to quickly work and I just kept coming back to that humble man from Jerusalem many years ago. I know it sounds crazy but my mind and my soul were just calling out that it could have been and that it was highly plausible that it was.

Take it for what it's worth, but to me, I just had a once in a lifetime experience.

No comments: